Go here: http://breiddalssetur.123.is/photoalbums/285265/http://breiddalssetur.123.is/photoalbums/285265/
Map of Breiðdalur Central Volcano, published in Walker 1963. The Breiddalur Central volcano.
Walker talking about volcanoes and ignimbrites in Auckland, New Zealand around 1980
Here are pictures of Walker and his collaborators during his career
The teacher Walker on the left and Thor Thordarson (Þorvaldur Þórðarson), today professor at the University of Iceland, in the middle. Picture taken in Hawaii in 1992.
LIST OF WALKER'S FOOTAGE - the original film bands are archived at Kvikmyndasafn in Hafnarfjörður, SW-Iceland.
Project Viscous shape. A professional artist team was working a continious film (~5 min) with the material (in totla more than 10 h). Their words after one week work with the material:
"It takes more than guts to peer into an erupting volcano... Or to stand beside a river of lava moving at 40mph... Or to gaze at a cloud of tephra larger than any skyscraper. It could even be said that in doing these things it's not just the earth's stomach that you witness but your own insides, your human guts and sense of scale. During the later years of his life, George Walker turned to investigating active volcanos as a way to perpetuate and develop the then little-known science of rheology (the study of fluid dynamics). Walker used cinematic technologies to record his rigorous explorations of lava flow, and only now have his films been rediscovered and preserved for the public to share in his life's work. With an eye for the unlikely and ineffable, artists Curtis Tamm (USA) and Hermione Spriggs (UK) reopen the unseen cinematic and textual archives of George Walker. Through a collaboration with Breiðdalssetur, geology center, the artists work with Walker's archive as a way to engage the literal and metaphysical implications raised by the groundbreaking work of this scarcely known geologist."
"Supported by the Arts Council England International Development Fund"
G.P.L. Walker left working documents, teaching material and samples in Honolulu, when he got retired and moved back to England 20 years ago. The curator of Breiðdalssetur went to Hawaii in March 2016 to pack the samples and send them to Iceland. The samples (2 pallets) or 1,3 t, were two month on their way over the Pacific ocean through Panama channel, over the Atlantic ocean to Rotterdam and finally to Reyðarfjörður, Iceland. The samples are from volcanos from all over the world but mainly ash from the Pacific fire ring.Thanks a lot to the staff of the Department of Geology and Geophysics at School of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology of the University of Hawai‘i at MānoaSchool of Ocean and Earth Science and Technology of the University of Hawai‘i at Mānoa for their kind assistance.
Walker samples in Honolulu Hawaii in March 2016:
Samples arrived in Breiðdalsvík Iceland in May 2016:
This year G.P.L. Walker would get 90 years old. For this opportunity, Breiðdalssetur organizes two events: Birthday coffee on March 2nd at 3:30 pm and a symposium on March 5th at 1:30 pm. Three named Icelandic geologists will hold a presentation there:
Ármann Höskuldsson, Ómar Bjarki Smárason & Thor Thordarson.
More about the event and presentations
Iceland 1958 part 1 - part 2 - part 3 - part 4
Iceland 1959 part 1 - Iceland 1959 extra documents
Picure taken at Námaskarð pass, Mývatn 1956. expedition members: Peter Ibbotson, Malcolm Mc Queen & Ian Carmichael
List about articles by Walker and his studnets connected to East Iceland ca 1950-1980
Walker 1959. The Geology of the Reyðarfjörður Area, Eastern Iceland.
Walker 1960. Zeolite zones and dike distribution in relation to the structure of the basalts of eastern Iceland.
Walker 1962. Tertiary welded tuffs in eastern Iceland.
Walker 1963. The Breiðdalur central volcano, eastern Iceland.
Walker 1964. Geological investigations in eastern Iceland.
- Bibliography of Walker list
- Some of them digital here:
- Booth-Walker-1973-Ash deposits Etna 1971.pdf
- Clough-Wright-Walker-1981-Giant pumice-bed-Mexico.pdf
- Froggatt-Walker-et-al-1981- Taupo European Sunsets.pdf
- Gibson and Walker 1963 Some composite rhyolite-basalt lavas and related composite dykes in eastern Iceland.pdf
- Gibson-Kinsman-Walker-1966-Geology of the Fáskrúðsdsfjörður area-ilovepdf-compressed.pdf
- Herrero-Bervera, Walker et al 1996 Reversals E-Iceland.pdf
- Herrero-Bevara-Walker-1999-Paleomagnetic study-eastern Iceland.pdf
- Leedal-Walker-1950-ingeltonian Yorkshire.pdf
- McPhie-Walker-Christiansen-1990-Phreatomagmatic and phreatic fall Kilauea-1790.pdf
- Moorbath-Walker-1965-Strontium Isotope,rocks from Iceland.pdf
- Rowland-Walker 1987-Toothpaste lava.pdf
- S.Self and R.S.J.Sparks-2005-Walker.pdf
- Wadge-Walker and Guest-1975-Output of Etna.pdf
- Walker 1959 Reydarfjordur geology.pdf
- Walker 1959 Reydarfjordur geology low res.pdf
- Walker 1959-Observations-Antrim-Basalt.pdf
- Walker 1960_Zeolites.pdf
- Walker 1962 Welded tuff in Eastern Iceland.pdf
- Walker 1962-Garronite-new-zeolite-Ireland and Iceland.pdf
- Walker 1963 Breiddalur Central volcano.pdf
- Walker 1963 Breiddalur Central volcano low res.pdf
- Walker 1964 Geologieal investigations in eastern Iceland.pdf
- Walker 1965-Aspects of Quaterny Volcanism Iceland.pdf
- Walker 1965-Crustal-drift-Iceland.pdf
- Walker 1973-Length-of-lavaflows.pdf
- Walker 1973-Prospects Heimaey.pdf
- Walker 1974-Structure of Eastern Iceland.pdf
- Walker 1975 Intrusive sheet swarms.pdf
- Walker 1975-Birth of an island.pdf
- Walker 1975-Birth-of-an-island.pdf
- Walker 1983- ST-Helens.pdf
- Walker 1983-Koya eruption Japan.pdf
- Walker 1995 Flood basalts and NAIP.pdf
- Walker 1999-Volcanic Rifts and intrusive swarms.pdf
- Walker and Blake 1966 Palogonite berccia.pdf
- Walker and Blake 1966 Palogonite berccia low res.pdf
- Walker and Heming-1980 -Ignimbrite veneer deposits or pyrocl surge deposits-repsonse.pdf
- Walker-1967-Thickness and Viscos. Etna.pdf
- Walker-1967-Volcanics of Eastern Iceland.pdf
- Walker-1981- Plinian eruptions and their products.pdf
- Walker-1983-Ignimbrite Types.pdf
- Walker-1988-Three-Hawaiian Calderas.pdf
- Walker-1992-Coherent intrusion complexes.pdf
- Walker-1995-So many volcanoes.pdf
- Wilmoth and Walker-1993-P-type and S-type Pahoe.pdf
- Wright and Walker-1977-Ignimbrite source problem.pdf
Berufjörður-Breiðdalur fjord & valley
Fljótsdalur valley & surroundings (Egilsstaðir)
These pictures were shown at Breiðdalssetur November 16th 2014
Breiðdalsvík, Ásvegur, with Gamla Kaupfélaginið, 1962
To honor the Dr. George P.L. Walker and get the interest of East Iceland's geoligy, Breiðdalssetur will organised a symposium the weekend August 30th -31st 2014. On Saturday lectures are hold and an excursion is organized for Sunday.
Presentations of the symposium
Born in London 2 March 1926.
Studied geology in Belfast, received Ph.D. at the University of Leeds, 1956. His thesis topic concerned the Early Tertiary igneous rocks of Northern Ireland, in particular their hydrothermal alteration minerals.
Lecturer at Imperial College, London 1951-1978.
Geological research in Iceland 1955-1965. Visits e.g. in 1973, 1974, 1977, 1980, 1982, 1988, and 1995.
Geological research in the Azores, Italy, the Canary Islands, New Zealand, Indonesia and Hawaii.
After 1978 he lived in New Zealand, then went to Hawaii and moved back to Gloucester in 1996.
Walker passed away at the age of 78, 17 January 2005.
Memoirs of GPL Walker poster as pdf
S. Self and R.S.J. Sparks, 2006. George Patrick Leonard Walker. 2 March 1926 - 17 January 2005. Biographical Memoirs - Fellows of the Royal Society 52, 423-436.
Heimir Gíslason, 2006. Í minningu dr. Walkers. Glettingur 43, 20-22.